Beyond the Classroom
Devonport High School offers a variety of co-curricular activities throughout the year. Opportunities that exist include:
- Athletic, Swimming, Surf, Cross Country and Inter-high carnivals. Kayaking, Kakka Challenge, Rock Challenge
- Grade and subject excursions
- Science and Health camps, Outdoor Education camps
- Chess and Games clubs
- Stage and Concert bands, Drum Circle
- Grade camps
- Business Challenge
- Japan cultural trip, Creating Hope trip to Cambodia, Asian study tours, Ski trip
- University trip, industry tours
- Science Big Gig and Engineering Challenges, Robotics
- Tournament of Minds
We have numerous sporting teams and strongly encourage all students to participate in at least one sport. We believe that participating in a sport builds a healthy body, self-esteem and confidence, skill levels and a connection to our country. Enjoyment, teamwork, skill development and self-discipline are all areas that can be developed through playing sport.
The program aims to:
- provide students with the opportunity to develop and extend a wide range of personal skills.
- build strong positive relationships amongst students Grade 8 – 10 and staff.
- provide opportunities for students to learn about and take part in activities which may lead to leisure-time pursuits.
- engage students in activities and vocational opportunities not often available at school.
- encourage community participation in school activities.